Education & Awareness
Agricultural Education and Awareness is a primary goal for the Agricultural Service Board (ASB) and as such is strongly supported by the Agricultural Service Department through various programs and events, including tours, workshops, meetings, and publications.
2019 ASB Youth for Agriculture Award
Entry Deadline: November 15, 2019
Red Deer County and area residents aged 13 to 18 are invited to enter the 2019 Agricultural Service Board Youth for Agriculture Award contest.
Entering is easy! Simply use your investigative skills and creativity to write an article or create a video on the ASB Youth for Agriculture Award topic of the year and submit your entry by the deadline.
Prizes will be awarded in two categories: Senior (ages 16 to 18) and Junior (ages 13 to 15); 1st place in each category is $1000.00!. Prize winners’ article or video will be featured in the Red Deer County News, the Red Deer County website and social media accounts, and in promotional materials.
2019 ASB Youth for Agriculture Award Topic:
Why does Sustainability matter to Red Deer County Farmers?
Contest Guidelines and Documentation:
- ASB YFAA Contest Guidelines - 2019
- ASB YFAA Scoring Rubric - 2019
- ASB YFAA Entry Submission Form - 2019
One entry per eligible person. There is no fee to enter the contest.
ASB Youth For Agriculture Award - 2018 Contest Results
The Agricultural Service Board Youth for Agriculture Award (ASB YFAA) program received 22 amazing entries for the 2018 contest! The premise of the ASB YFAA program is simple, Red Deer County area youths are encouraged to write an article or create a video on the topic of year, and submit their entries by the deadline.
Creativity is encouraged, as is getting to know your farming neighbours and honing your investigative skills. Prizes are awarded in two age categories: Senior (ages 16 to 18) and Junior (ages 13 to 15); 1st place in each category is $1000.00!
2018’s topic was The Future of Farming in Red Deer County, and entries received ranged from the future of sheep in the County to how artificial intelligence can help farmers in the future. Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry, our team of judges really enjoyed reading all the submissions!
The 2018 ASB Youth for Agriculture Award winners are:
Senior Category (16-18 years)
- First Place: Brody Nestorvich - Prize: $1,000
- Second Place: Aubrie Caukill - Prize: $500
- Third Place: Styn Nieuwenhuis - Prize: $250
Junior Category (13-15 years)
- First Place: Liam Christian - Prize $1,000
- Second Place: Isaac Bahler - Prize: $500
- Third Place: Ethan Christian - Prize: $250
2018 Winning Articles
Red Deer County proudly hosts an Ag Tour each year, with a chartered bus tour around the County to view local farming operations. The Tour is a unique opportunity to learn about agriculture in our community, and to speak to farmers directly.
For the 2019 Ag Tour, attendees visited four local operations:
This colony features crops on 7000 acres, 500 sows, 100 dairy cows with robotic milking, cow/calf operation with 350 cows, as well as chickens and eggs raised for their own use. You can find their garden produce at Olds and Pine Lake farmer's markets.
This is a 4th generation mixed farm with 100 acres of crop, 40 cow/calf as well as a custom foaling and breeding operation.
Exciting talks on our beef industry were presented by Peter Lawrence, Doug Sawyer as well as Kelly Scott-Fraser.
This family operation harvests 3000 acres of wheat, barley, canola, peas and fababeans.
Thank you to all our 2019 Hosts for making the 2019 Ag Tour a successful and educational event for all!
Want to learn about the 2018 Ag Tour? Check out this video on the event:
Agricultural Training Sponsorship Program
Red Deer County residents are eligible for reimbursement (50% of course fee, up to $200) of agricultural or safety related course training costs through the Agricultural Training Sponsorship Program. The program, which is sponsored by the Red Deer County Agricultural Service Board, works to support and encourage agricultural and safety training for County residents. Courses can include: St John Ambulance First Aid courses, Agricultural related courses, event and conferences, and safety courses such as Chainsaw, ATU/UTV Training etc.
In order to be eligible for the program, the following criteria must be met:
- Be a Red Deer County resident
- Successfully complete the course/training
- Receipts submitted within 30 days of the event
- Course/event agenda submitted with receipt
- Completed rebate form submitted with receipt
- Eligibility is subject to board’s approval.
- Funds are limited and will be allocated on a first come/first served basis
- Eligible reimbursement amount is 50% of the course/event fee (up to $200).
- Eligible costs claimed include only course/event fees, and do not include incidentals (e.g. parking, mileage, meals, etc.)
- Certificate/Diploma/Degree level courses are not eligible.
- Please contact the County for prior approval if possible.
Submit your Agricultural Training Sponsorship Rebate Request:
|Form:||Agricultural Training Sponsorship Rebate Form|
|Send by Email:||firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Send by Mail:||Agricultural Training Sponsorship|
38106, Range Road 275
Red Deer County, AB T4S 2L9
Agricultural Education & Awareness Sponsorship
The Agricultural Service Board also supports agricultural education & awareness through sponsorship of various agricultural programs, events and activities, including:
- Ladies Livestock Lessons
- Ranching Opportunities
- Aspen Ranch Safety Camps
- Farm Safety Centre
- AFAC - Alberta Farm Animal Care
- Young Farmers Workshops
- CASA - Grain Safety Program (Grain Entrapment Trailer)
- CAP - Classroom Ag Program
- AISC - Alberta Invasive Species Council
- NAISMA - North American Invasive Species Council
- Technical Large Animal Emergency Rescue Training - Olds College
Sponsorship requests are reviewed individually, as they are received, and within the context of available funds. Organizations being considered for approval may be required to formally present their request to the Agricultural Service Board.