August 31, 2022
For Immediate Release
Fire restrictions now in effect for Red Deer County
Dry conditions require extra precautions
(RED DEER COUNTY) As of 4:00 p.m. today, a restricted fire order is in effect for all of Red Deer County.
The County requires that:
- All outdoor fires presently burning within Red Deer County whether set with permission or under permit of the County, will remain valid for the duration of the permit, and
- The ignition of all new outdoor fires within the boundaries of Red Deer County are hereby prohibited, and
- No new fire permits will be issued until further notice.
This ban DOES NOT apply to:
- Fires, which are contained within cooking and heating appliances and which are fueled by fluids, gases, or wood pellets
- Fires contained within industrial facilities for operational purposes.
- Safe acceptable residential fire pits/campground wood fires*
- Gas/Propane fueled fire pits/stoves/barbecues
- Catalytic or infrared-style heaters
*Safe acceptable residential fire pits – (a) A minimum of 1 meter clearance measured from the nearest fireplace edge to the nearest edge of a building, property lines, or other combustible material; (b) Constructed of materials such as bricks or rocks that are non-combustible; (e) The base of the fire burning area is not less than 0.3 meters above the surrounding grade; and (f) The fire chamber does not exceed 1.25 meters in width, and is at least 0.4 meters but not more than 0.6 meters in depth.
Any person violating conditions of this ban may be held liable for any damages and/or costs associated with extinguishing the fire and full prosecution with penalties, in accordance with Red Deer County Fire Services Bylaw 2012/14 and/or the Forest Prairie Protection Act RSA. Red Deer County thanks residents for their cooperation.
To stay up to date with Red Deer County, visit www.rdcounty.ca or go to our Twitter and Facebook pages.
- 30 -
For more information:
Red Deer County
38106 Rge Road 275, Red Deer County, Alberta T4S 2L9
Past News Releases can be found at www.rdcounty.ca/News